21 Jul 2017

And Then, App-Speak...

First up, when I turn on my ‘puter of a morning, my bit o’ the Net it starts with is Google News. Recently, Google have given it wot they call a re-vamp. This re-vamp has, for me, killed a perfectly usable gateway for an easily browsed quick-fix for UK and world news. Upon searching for a way to return to, what us Google News users now call the classic view, it seems there’s no way back. Yet. During my search it also became apparent that I’m not alone in looking for  a bit o’ backwards progress.

Talking of that, in amongst the Google News headlines this morning was the techno babble beauty below. As they say, there’s an App for that. 
   London-based transport app Citymapper has announced its next product: A social hyper-local multi-passenger pooled vehicle. Using  “geo-matching technology” to route vehicles in a way which optimizes boarding while minimising waiting times, the firm hopes to enable efficient ETAs for passengers with varied demographics.
  
Helpfully, the firm has also provided a translation of its Silicon Valley-speak: it’s a bus...

Is that just the App developers having a giraffe? If so, it’s a beauty. If not, we really are doomed.

In other news, I saw the clip showing that poor Diane Abbott being interviewed and, yet again, struggling with that stuff to do with numbers. The bit wot I’ve copied and pasted below was lurking way down in the comments.
Diane Abbott was asked if she’d studied Algebra at school.
"No", she replied "I never had any intention of traveling there."

Quote;  Johnny Depp.

“The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts; 11 injured'. That kind of thing.”

No comments: